Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Let Me Tell You About My Skin

Mr. O and I have been making wedding planning magic left and right these days, but before I get to that, I realized that I have yet another weird body-related issue to overshare with you all. (Oh, I already told you about my nail-biting and my bouts of fainting, but yes, there's MORE!)

Bridesmaid Erica's wedding is coming up very, very shortly, and in thinking about the dresses she chose for us to wear...


Beautiful, huh? It's made by Laundry by Shelli Segal. (Source.)

...I also started thinking about my arms, and the fact that they are going to be bare, and also photographed, all day long.

I tend to get little red dots on my upper arms. My old pal Dr. Google tells me the official term for this is "keratosis pilaris," and that is both very common (true--I notice on other people, particularly my ivory-skinned compadres, pretty often) and hereditary (also true--thanks Dad!). It's not incredibly unsightly to behold or anything, and in fact, mine is mild enough that I rarely ever think about it or notice it on myself, and I usually don't feel self-conscious about it.

But then again, I don't usually walk up an aisle while being watched by over a hundred people and get my picture taken all day either, and I'm doing that twice in the next six months. It's never occurred to me to try to treat it before, so I have no idea if I could actually reduce the little red dots if I wanted to.

Given how common it is, I have to think that other people out there must also have the ol' keratosis pilaris as well. So, I have to ask: can you reduce it, or make it go away? Does anyone have any remedies for getting rid of the little red dots?

No comments:

Post a Comment